Thursday, December 6, 2012

Soylent Green is people!


I thought that no blog dedicated to great food from great movies would be complete to one of the most notorious cinematic delights of them all: Soylent Green. If you have not seen this movie, I apologize because the title of this post is a HUGE spoiler alert. Nonetheless, I would recommend to still watch the film. 

A 1973 sci-fi cult classic starring Hollywood legend Charlton Heston, Soylent Green is a film set in the dystopian future where much of the Earth's natural resources has been depleted. Grocery stores and the wide array of foods found in them is no longer available and the population survives on nondescript green cube rations of "soylent green" The ration is a much improved version of the previously sold "soylent yellow" and "soylent red". 


The film contains one the greatest and most disturbing twists and surprises which I believe makes the entire film worthwhile. If you can't guess what the twist is from the title of the post, all the better for when you actually watch the movie. The film inspired me to strike against any mysterious cafeteria food served to me in middle and high school yelling, "This meatloaf is people"! It also made me second guess eating spinach or anything green for weeks after. The film itself is an interesting concept on what length's man will do to survive or make a profit. I, unfortunately, did not want to attempt to recreate the soylent green recipe for reasons I hope most of my readers will understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment