Sunday, November 25, 2012

Scrumdiddlyumptious


When I was a kid, there was one thing that I feared even greater then the boogie man or having to clean my room. It was the ghastly tunnel scene from the 1971 cult classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. That scene and Willy Wonka's creepy ballad which is featured in it haunted my dreams for years well into my adult life. I, however, loved the rest of the film if I just fastforwarded through that blasted scene. I am not the only one, by the way, who was freaked out about the tunnel scene. It was voted as the #74th Scariest Movie Moment by Bravo.

A fear of tunnels is not the only phobia one might develop after watching the movie. One might also develop chiclephobia, or the fear of chewing gum. That is because one might be afraid of becoming a giant oversized blueberry if they do. In the film, the precocious Violet insists on trying a piece of experimental gum and, although she first enjoys the multitude of flavors, she soon discoveres that she has ballooned into a giant blueberry. The oompa loompas roll her away and she has proven herself unworthy as the heir to the chocolate factory.

To celebrate this odd scene, I made a blueberry pie as a tribute to the still reigning queen of blueberries. I found the recipe at http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/blueberry-cream-pie?click=recipe_sr. The recipe included making a custard of sorts to serve as the base beneath a blueberry sauce. It was basically like vanilla pudding.

 
 
I then made the blueberry topping. I would suggest on decreasing the amount of blueberries used. My apartment was overflowing in blueberries.

 
I tried to stuff all the blueberries on top of the custard which was on a graham cracker pie crust. The blueberries came gushing forth and all over the counter. Although at first dismayed, I was pleasantly surprised to find I made a homemade Rorschach inkblot test.

What do you see in this picture? Please, be honest.
 
 
I then had to refrigerate the pie for about 3 hours. I wanted to transport the pie to my grandparents' for Thanksgiving, but the blueberry sauce would not cooperate and refused not to leak. I found this out by setting the pie on my car to open the door and looking up to see blueberry sauce slowly crawl down my car's rooftop. It was a perfect moment for oompa loompas to jump up and sing me a song about not trying to transport blueberry pie.

Despite having worse bladder control than a toddler, the pie was pretty tasty.

 
 
 Here's hoping on finding a golden ticket inside! Hey, someone might have slipped one in............

No comments:

Post a Comment